April 29, 2010

Save your Time & Money. Everything you need is out there.

Content creation takes time.  Part of the tedious work to start an e-commerce business is creating pages/content for things like: Privacy Policy, Shipping Policy, Return Policy, About Us, etc.  Well guess what?  Since every e-commerce business has to have these, every e-commerce has them.  So I visited 4-5 of my favorite sites and picked and chose the pieces that I thought applied to Sunnystuff.  Cut, paste, and tweak...rinse and repeat.  Just make sure you find ALL the references to the other company and change it to your company name.

The same concept applies to site development.  Especially if you are learning HTML/CSS/Javascript or other language.  Everything you want has probably been done.  Use one of the hundreds of thousands of FREE web template out there and just tweak it to work for your site.  I think it is a great way to advance your skills.  Once you know the basics, learn by example.  Grab one of the free templates or view source on an existing website and try to change something in order to understand what is going on.  That is one thing that is amazing (in a good and bad way) with front-end web development.  If I see a site that has a really cool feature, it is so easy to grab all the source and re-use it.  It's essentially open source.

2 comments:

  1. So technically could one copy all of one's source code on a website? Is that illegal? Not that I would do it, but I remember on a forum a guy had said he put in a lot of time to develop his website only for it to be copied about three times (which he didn't like).

    Thanks again,
    ---Kyle---

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, I'm not condoning stealing. But you can view/access all of one's source code when it comes to the presentation (UI rendering). If I see a site that has a nice UI widget that I'd like to incorporate to my site, then I will view the HTML/CSS/Javascript source and see how they did it, tweak and apply it for my needs.

    ReplyDelete