May 4, 2010

Increasing Page Views with Up-selling & Cross-selling

We've got a lot of great products on Sunnystuff, but are people taking the time to view them?  I know the site response time is not the quickest, but this is not something I'm ready to address just yet (it's on the roadmap, though).  Average page views per visit is currently in the low 3s (and this includes the monster long sessions that I'm on the site doing things, which skews this higher).  I wanted to a way to expose more of the catalog to users when then come from a PPC campaign or wherever, so I started to add Up-sells and Cross-sells to each product.  Obviously, when we sell a Smashball set, we want to up-sell the Smashball Replacement Balls.  When we sell our Sand Toys, don't you need a Beach Bag to carry them in?

So far, the early results are encouraging.  Average page views per visit are into the upper 3s.  If we can get more people to browse around, I think that makes the $6.95 flat-rate shipping more palatable as well.  With the flat-rate shipping strategy, I'm surprised that the average order size hasn't been bigger than it is.  Again, hopefully more exposure to our variety of products will help.  And then quicker load times, I will work on later this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment