April 5, 2010

Learning Magento

Every E-Commerce site needs a shopping cart.  E-Commerce platforms evolved from this basic need to provide catalog (product) management and much more.  Magento is appealing because it is open source (i.e., free) and it has a strong and (seemingly) growing base.  This equates to lots of free and available help via the web.  What is also nice is that it is LAMP-based, meaning that it can install and reside on basic hosting packages (i.e., cheap).  This is a great combination to keep overhead low to start.  I'm using TMDhosting which costs less than $5/mth.  It was recommended by a friend and so far I've been happy; I mean, support is only by email (which I was very skeptical of), but the response time has been fantastic so far, so kudos to them for now.

My wife and I spent the weekend in the Admin Console building the catalog.  I've actually been quite impressed with the breadth of functionality that Magento offers out-of-the-box.  Creating and editing categories and products has been a breeze so far, though tedious, but that's expected.  Check out our Beach Towels or our Die-cast Car Collectibles. I hope as I try to learn the front end over the coming days (to customize the look'n'feel of the site) it is as straight forward.

From what I can see, though, Magento is very database intensive.  That's a performance concern, but one I don't need to worry about now since I have no traffic.  This will be a good problem to have down the road, so we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment