April 21, 2010

The Link Building Campaign Begins

The good news is traffic is growing steadily.  The bad news is that it is costing money (i.e., Google Adwords and Microsoft AdCenter).  Ultimately, if we're going to succeed, we need to succeed at Search Engine Optimization (SEO).  And the key to SEO is links...quality links.  It starts with this blog, clearly.  But link building is a slow and steady wins the race type of thing.  You can't rush it, you have to build and build over time by connecting with others (much more on this to come over the coming months).  I've started to post on forums as well.  The key to that is not to appear like spam.  I've tried to provide insightful answers and then slip in my link as my signature.  That's fair, right?

The problem I'm finding is that we have so many categories, what keywords we focus on?  Since I'm just starting out, I'm simply been putting links to Sunnystuff.com (like that).  But I'm using my Google Adwords results to help focus the strategy.  Essentially, I'm running a campaign on a different category for a couple days each (I have to iterate through the categories for budgetary reasons).  Which ever has the most success, I will focus my link building on those.

Link building is hard.  You have to be persistent and trust that it will pay off in the end.  It is a tedious and time-consuming effort, but one that is absolutely necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment