April 18, 2010

First Google Adwords Campaign

For the most part, we're done working on the catalog in Magento.  It's always going to be a work in progress, but at least we've got most of the products up and they are ready to sell.

"If you build it, they will come"

I sure wish it was that easy.  To start to generate traffic, I decided to pick a category and create an Adwords campaign around it.  I chose Beach hats, Sun hats (headwear).  I chose this based on some keyword research using Google's keyword research tool.  The hat terms seemed like they were pretty popular and the cost-per-click was reasonable and the competition looked beatable (in terms of price and product offering). Here is one of the ads. After 1 day, it's getting a click-through rate of just under 2% (is that good?).



I can't wait to see the analytics on this. My hope is that they come and see the hats (and buy, of course), but then stay and browse around a bit to see what else we have. After a couple days, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment