April 28, 2010

Articles for SEO

Yet another technique to SEO optimization is publishing articles to sites like ezinearticles.com. This is what Google has created with their PageRank strategy. Back links are so imperative to PageRank that to "win" traffic to Sunnystuff.com, I need as many as possible. Of course, over time Google has improved their algorithms such that quality links mean much more, but still, I have to believe that quantity cannot hurt so long as it is NOT from a link farm or black-listed source.

But articles take a long time to write. Luckily, there are plenty of people around the world that are will to do it for a low cost. I have a proposal out on eLance.com now for 10 articles. I will provide the idea and they will write the article. I imagine I will proof it and provide my own edits, but at least the gist will be done...I will just polish and publish. I'm interested to see what kind of bids I get. I saw one person charging $0.006/word. That equates to ~$6/article. I figure it would take me at least 30 mins to write just one myself, so it's worth the expense.

At least I will do my best not to pollute the web with junk. I will try to come up with topics that may actually be helpful to people. Of course, though, the articles will be full of keyword anchor text links that lead to "Your source for Beach Accessories". :)

4 comments:

  1. Hello, I just discovered your blog and website, I am an aspiring ecommerce entrepreneur as well. My plan is to start with an ecommerce business selling socks. I have a few questions if you don't mind:

    1) I discovered your website in a thread at a small business forum. You said you were able to start it for "almost nothing," however I notice you have a lot of products offered. I was wondering how much money on average it takes to start an ecommerce company with such a large amount of products? ARe you dropshipping or do you have them stored on-hand?

    2) How did you create that "Sunnystuff" graphic you have at the top of your website? Also how did you create those pictures where the different product types are grouped together, for example the picture graphic for hats, the graphic for beach games, the graphic for flying discs...? Did you take a picture of each group and then use some software to spruce them up or something?

    And for the individual products, did you have to take a picture of each individual one on your own (like use a camera and then upload each image into the computer to use on the website), or did you download available pictures of each product to use?

    I am planning to code my own website, however I am a beginner; I got a book on learning HTML, XHTML, and CSS so I am going to read through that and practice.

    3) For things like the Privacy policy, Shipping policy, Return policy, etc...is there a specific way those kinds of things must be written?? Like do you have to consult with a lawyer or something to have them written?

    Thanks! Also good luck in your venture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again I just realized after making my comment I had a few additional questions as well:

    1) For your phone number for customer service, is that yourself who answers the phone to deal with customers? I know any ecommerce business needs a phone number to be taken more seriously, however I am a very shy guy, I can't really imagine myself taking phone calls right now!

    But then again I can't imagine creating an ecommerce business where the only customer service method is through e-mail until I could hire someone to answer a phone either.

    2) For the return policy, it mentions about the person being issued a "return authorization number." What is that? Just sounds very formal, I am just so confused!

    I want to build my business but then I read stuff like that and it sounds a bit over-whelming. I would ship a person their product, but then if they contacted me to return it, all I'd know is to tell them the address to ship it to, I don't know about something like a return authorization number (???).

    Again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle,

    Thanks for the comments and questions. You posed a lot of great questions. In fact, I think the responses warrant their own post. I will respond to each and everyone through a new post over the next day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coolbeans, thanks, will be waiting :)

    ReplyDelete